Friday, September 26, 2008

Good Music: Jazmine Sullivan


Okay, a lot of people are probably already up on it, but just yesterday I learned of Missy Elliott's very young and talented protegee, Jazmine Sullivan, and the song "Need U Bad." As the bredren-them used to say-- it's a wicked piece-a tune! It reminds me of Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown and the real good stuff they used to spin when I first fell in love with reggae. I'm totally feelin it!

I saw the "Need U Bad" video while in the company of a fifty-year-old elder, and we stopped our conversation tranfixed by what we were hearing. (The elder happened to be the owner of a veritable audio museum of black American music, some on 8-track in fact. She proudly identified herself as a discriminating music fan and disciple of Black Moses, aka Isaac Hayes.) The two of us kept nodding our heads and repeating "Mmmmhumm," "That sho is nice!" and "That's music right there."

Truly, young sister Jazmine's voice goes toe-to-to with the strong roots bass line that carries "Need U Bad." Sir Coxsone would be proud to hear youth like her carrying the old sound system vibes into the future.

1 comment:

Gatas Negras said...

I saw an ad for ole girl about a month ago but I never took the time to listen to any snippets of music. I'ma hav'ta check her out now! If she got you sayin' "mmm-hmmm" then I gots'ta see whus really goin' on it dat! If you pick up her whole CD let me know.

MrMarques'08