Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Son, the Singer

When I began this blog, I had in mind that it would be multipurpose, one of those being to help organize my thoughts as well as some of my memories of Jared as he grows. I've got so many piles of photos, cards, keepsakes and calendars as well as little scraps of paper with notes jotted down, notes that I say to myself I'll write down all neat and orderly like a good mommie should in an album or scrapbook one day when I get time. (Meanwhile, the piles keep growing taller. )


One memory that I don't want to forget is his fondness for music. While he seems to for the most part think he's too cool to dance, my son has been singing since he was two or three months old. Some of the photos of him during his naming ceremony back in October 2006 do, in fact, show him with his cottony hair and velvety skin and mouth frozen while holding the note of song. During his first year, he and I would be out shopping and he would be singing at the top of his lungs in such a way that other shoppers would track us down in our aisle to get a look at the child whose voice carried from one corner of the store to another (which made me sometimes call him O Puxador, like Neguinho da Beija Flor and other singers who stand on top of floats bellowing out carnaval theme songs, no need for a mic). Granted, the stores where this would happen were always small stores, but still I thought it was funny. Even more funny was that when I enrolled the child in Music Together he spent more time investigating the room than he did actually singing or playing instruments.
When some of these people would, perhaps innocently, say to me that my son is destined to be a singer, it seemed laden with restrictive assumptions about the heights a black child should expect to reach. So, in response I would say that he could very well end up being a singer but might also be an orator or a host of other things that require vocal expressiveness.

In addition to his own original tunes, Jared's Fall 2008 repertoire includes:

Old MacDonald

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Yes, Jesus Loves Me

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Twinkle, Twinkle

Frere Jacques


Of course, mommie can't wait to see what comes next in the little boy's songbook.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Playsuit image from Stardust Kids

No comments: